Monday, April 27, 2009

The First Steps

December 10, 2008 (my 25th birthday) Mike and I had a meeting with a representative at the University of Utah. We will call her April. We met with her to begin our application for the Miracle Fund. The Miracle Fund is a way for a private donor to donate the money for a couple to go through the IVF (invitro fertilization) process. This donor donated enough to cover the cost for 25 couples in 2008. It was a crazy meeting and I left very emotional. I wanted so bad to get this fund. We had a 12 page application we had to complete, as well as 5 references we had to get and a few medical tests. We finished the application and got all test results in around the beginning of January. Then it was just a wait process. It was excruciating to say the least. I knew the committee that would review the applications only met a few times a year, but I didn't know how long I could wait. Then Friday, March 27, 2009 I got a letter in the mail with this logo on it

I still had to wait another 2 hours or so until Mike got home before I could open it. That was the hardest 2 hours to make it through. I ended up with a really clean house though, because it was the only way I could find to keep my mind occupied while I waited. When Mike got home we opened the letter:

Dear Nicole and Michael Montgomery
Through the generosity of anonymous donors, and after successful completion of a family study by a State licensed social worker, you will be able to be recipients of one cycle of IVF to be completed before the end of March 2010.

Monday I called April back and got the name and number of a social worker who would come to our house and complete a home study. A home study is where a social worker comes to your home, interview you and your spouse, inspect the home, and evaluate you as an individual and a couple. Pretty scary if you ask me. But, the social worker sounded really nice over the phone, and the interview date was set.

5 comments:

Amy Piller said...

I am happy for you and again you have me in tears! I was thinking of having a cousin get together whould you guys be up for it.

E Terry said...

Ya I'm crying too! But I am SO excited for you guys!

Kellie said...

Nickie that is so great! I am so happy for you; do you know when it will be yet? (just before Mar. 2010?) Let me know. That is so exciting!!!

rickandcami said...

Ya we all know I cried when we got the news! I am so excited and look forward to having an official date set! Miss you so much and can't wait to see you! Love ya tons!

Inspired said...

Oh Nickie! That is amazing! CONGRATULATIONS!!!